Sunday, 29 January 2012


After a bit of experimentation I have finally settled on the ideal paper for printing Oystercatchers.
I started with a slightly textured 250gms BFK Rives in the hope of an embossed effect to set off the jet black birds and surf. I anticipated that because the areas of relief were relatively small the pressure from my nipping press would be enough to create a good impression on this heavier paper. I was wrong, although small they are rather spread out and about 4 sheets down the line I realised it was an expensive mistake. 

Next I tried my usual favourite, a nice crisp smooth white 140gms Zerkall printing paper. I achieved a couple of good prints, but it was hard work and after a few failures I gave up with this.

I then decided to try the lighter end of the paper chain and a dug out a whisper thin sheet of gampi tissue that I had been hoarding for a while. This takes the ink like a dream, I barely had to touch it let alone apply any pressure but tissue has a tendency to wrinkle as it wafts down onto the ink, which distorts the print. I was really pleased to see a possible solution to this problem on Elizabeth Banfield’s blog and I’ll be trying this out soon. Meanwhile I’ve stashed away the few good tissue prints with a plan to mount them on some whitewashed plywood board. 

Back to producing a decent edition on paper, in the end I stumbled across a good crisp &  white 70gms paper which suits this particular print perfectly. It was a chance buy, informed by price and weight rather than any pre-knowledge of the product, which is all part of the fun of buying materials online!

Oystercatchers on Inbe Epais,


  1. Love reading your blog alison, you awe me with your knowledge of paper, I often work on scrap bits discarded at work. You're still producing amazing stuff, I continue to drool over your Lewis Chessmen print. If I ever manage to claw my way out of my current job, it would be a great goodbye present for my boss!



Related Posts with Thumbnails